ALBORA Boutique hotel will become for you a worthy companion in the world of emotions and vibrations of our city. And you would definitely like to come back again to enjoy the absorbing hospitality and unique atmosphere with this companion.
ALBORA Boutique Hotel is justly proud of its location on two different picturesque canals - Griboedov and Kryukov, which are included in the famous "Sevenbridges". It is from here that you can see at the same time 7 bridges through the canals. There is a belief that the desire which made in this place comes true with tremendous accuracy. Silence, romance and incredible proximity to the special pride of St. Petersburg - the Mariinsky Theater - this is what distinguishes us from other hotels.
We suggest you to feel the historical uniqueness and creative atmosphere of one of the oldest districts of the city - Kolomna. We advise you to visit St.Nicholas Epiphany, St. Isidorovsky Church, Trinity Cathedral, as well as a large number of museums and monuments which are located closed to our hotel. Meetings of the literary society "Green Lamp" were held near the hotel. They were visited by F.N. Glinka, A.S. Pushkin, Y.N. Tolstoy and A.A. Delvig. In 1908, Alexander Blok, one of the representatives of Russian symbolism and a recognized classic of Russian literature of the twentieth century, regularly met with friends and pilots there.
The Griboedov Canal is laid along the channel of the Krivushi River (another name is the Deaf River). Initially, it was called Catherine - in honor of the Empress Catherine II, in the reign of which he was equipped. In October,1923, the canal was renamed in honor of the Russian playwright and diplomat Alexander Sergeyevich Griboedov, who lived in one of the houses on the canal embankment, and became known as the Writer Griboedov Canal, and since 1931 - the Griboedov Canal.
Kryukov channel was dug from the Neva to the Moika in transport purposes. Since 1738 it received its modern name by the name of the contractor Semyon Kryukov. Since 1830, channel did not justify its purpose and began to be called the Kryukov Canal. In 1801-1807, granite embankments were built.
The famous Mariinsky Theater is located on the Kryukov Canal, which inspired the creators of the ALBORA hotel with its presentation.
In 1783, by order of Empress Catherine the Great, the Bolshoi Kamenny Theater was built according to the design of Antonio Rinaldi, from which the history of the theater is counted.
In 1859, after the Circus Theater located opposite the Bolshoi Theater burned down, designed by Alberto Cavos in 1847-1848, the architect erected a new theater building in this place, intended for the troupe of the Imperial Theaters. The theater was named Mariinsky in honor of the wife of Alexander II - Empress Maria Alexandrovna. The first theatrical season in the new building opened with Mikhail Glinka's opera «Life for the Tsar» in October 1860.
In 1883-1886, the building was rebuilt by the architect Victor Schröter under the supervision of Nicholas Benoit. After its restructuring, in 1886 ballet performances were transferred here, until this time they continued to go on the stage of the Bolshoi Stone Theater. The building of the Bolshoi Theater itself was transferred to the Russian Musical Society and then in 1896 it was rebuilt by the architect Vladimir Nicolas at the Conservatory. On November 9, 1917, with the change of power, the theater, which became the State Theater, was transferred to the education commission of the RSFSR, in 1920 it became an academic and since then it was fully called the “State Academic Opera and Ballet Theater”. In 1935, he was named after Sergei Kirov, in honor of the first secretary of the Leningrad Regional Committee of the CPSU (B.) Sergei Kirov.
In 1968-1970 a general reconstruction of the theater was carried out according to the project of Salome Gelfer, as a result of which the left wing of the building was “extended” and acquired its current form.
In 1988, Valery Gergiev became the artistic director and chief conductor of the Kirov Theater.
January 16, 1992 the theater was returned to its historical name - Mariinsky.
In 2010-2012, the second stage of the Mariinsky theatre was constructed in close proximity to the historic building of the theatre.
Kolomna – is one of the oldest districts of Saint-Petersburg. The boundaries of this historical part of the city were determined by the water boundary of the Fontanka, Kryukov Chanel, Moika River, and Pryazhka river. The first citizens of Kolomna were shipyard workers. Later it was populated by tradesmen, merchants, military and officials. Also in small quantities nobles lived here. The population growth was very high: in the middle of 19th century it was around 50 000 people and by the 1910 it reached 85 000. In the end of 19th century Kolomna became a high-populated part of the city, built up the tenement houses.
Kolomna played a role in Russian literature, some famous characters lived there:
-Eugene, a hero of the poem “Bronze Horseman”;
-Akaky Akakievich Bashmachkin from the N. Gogol’s story “Greatcoat”, this district alse was noted in a story “Portrait”;
-Pushkin sang Kolomna in the poem "House in Kolomna".
In the years 1817-1820 on the street Galernaya, very close to Kolomna, lived A. S. Pushkin, who wrote here the poem Ruslan and Lyudmila, the ode to Liberty and the message To Chaadaev. The commander A.V. Suvorov lived in Kolomna. In the 19th century, A. S. Griboedov, V. A. Zhukovsky, M. Yu. Lermontov, N. V. Gogol, N. G. Chernyshevsky and others also lived in Kolomna. In the late XIX - early XX centuries, the district was chosen by musicians, artists, poets. The poets A. A. Blok, M. A. Kuzmin, O. E. Mandelstam, the artists M. V. Dobuzhinsky, K. A. Somov, B. M. Kustodiev, T. N. Glebova lived in Kolomna.
In the years 1882-1895 I.E. Repin wrote in Kolomna the painting "Letter to the Cossacks of the Turkish Sultan", "Ivan the Terrible kills his son," "They did not wait," and others.
The proximity of the Conservatory and the Bolshoi, then the Mariinsky Theater attracted many artists to settle nearby, including ballerinas M.F. Kshesinskaya, G.S. Ulanova, T.P. Karsavina, Anna Pavlova, Ivan Boretsky; composers P.I. Tchaikovsky, M.I. Glinka. M.P. Mussorgsky, S.S. Prokofiev, organist Isaiah Braudo and others. In the second half of the 20th century, artist Timur Novikov, artists of the Old Town group, poet Roald Mandelstam lived and worked in Kolomna.
Embankment of the channel Griboedov, 133A - the best place to feel the atmosphere of cultural Petersburg.